Friday 7 December 2007

.net deployment project and win 2003 server install.

Blogging this as I have a tendancy to forget this kind of information. Been trying for some time to get a .net deployment project installed onto a win 2003 server. I was running the install and it kept erroring saying "The installer was interrupted before xxx.xxx could be installed. You need to restart the installer to try again. I hadn't done one of these installs before so I started poking around the installer. With .msi's you can get them to provide increased logging information when you run then. I used

xxx.msi /l* log.txt and ran the installer again. This time I had a log file with some errors in it.

The first error eas Custom Action WEBCA_EvaluateURLsNoFail did not close 2 MSIHANDLEs

I did a quick google on this and it seemed related to there being no URL on the server. I check win 2003 and found that by default it doesn't have any web sites setup at all. I added a default web site, and then the install went fine.

No comments: